About Me

My photo
I have a beautiful wife, an infant son & a schnauzer. viva la tex-mex. Words that describe or excite: Missional, Glocal, Lead, Innovate, Initiate, Create, Risk, Community

Friday, November 25, 2005

blog is such an ugly word, i prefer 'typing'


"I have no idea to this day what those two Italian ladies were singing about. Truth is, I don't want to know. Some things are best left unsaid. I'd like to think they were singing about something so beautiful, it can't be expressed in words, and makes your heart ache because of it. I tell you, those voices soared higher and farther than anybody in a gray place dares to dream. It was like some beautiful bird flapped into our drab little cage and made those walls dissolve away, and for the briefest of moments, every last man in Shawshank felt free." --Ellis Boyd 'Red' Redding (Morgan Freeman's character in Shawshank Redemption) after Andy Dufresne (Tim Robbins) breaks into the Warden's office and plays an opera record from the prison library over the loud speaker system for every inmate to hear.

"An encounter with a great work of art is a demand to change your life." --poet Rainer Maria Rilke

Art, music, beauty, creation all call out to the deepest part of our humanity, they all move in us in varied and infinite ways, but one thing that is certain, is these mediums communicate to our soul what words cannot. Deep within us we sense, we know, something somewhere has gone wrong. Aesthetics, the beauty of things create a tragic longing within our hearts to find wholeness, to desire peace, to want to be at rest. Do you sense it? Do you hide from it, run for cover? Does it overwhelm you?

Beauty points to an artist, a maestro, the creator, will you seek the source of beauty and the answer to what aches inside you with me? Go on a journey with me as I seek to find the source of truth and beauty. Along the way, I think we will discover all that our soul is longing for and so much more.

I like cotton candy, unique sodas, southern fried foods & chinese buffets. I enjoy the occassional fine cigar! I have a beautiful wife & 2 schnauzers. I love tex-mex.
AND...

...I believe the children are our future Teach them well and let them lead the way Show them all the beauty they possess inside ...and since i am a youth pastor i did it all without cussing or falling off the wagon ...maybe!?!?

1 comment:

Kenny C said...

well said, mikey boy!

- alivonekjc