About Me

My photo
I have a beautiful wife, an infant son & a schnauzer. viva la tex-mex. Words that describe or excite: Missional, Glocal, Lead, Innovate, Initiate, Create, Risk, Community

Monday, March 26, 2007

Student Ministry 101 (Examining Your Student Ministry)

Someone recently asked me the purpose of my blog. While most things I do, I do with purpose, my blog has more or less been a scatter shot, stream of conscience type of rambling event. As my career and calling revolves around Student Ministry, I tend to use this blog as a place to process and 'put out there' those ideas, thoughts, readings, happenings, and ideas that fall outside of student ministry. In a way, a place I go to get away from Student Ministry to connect with a wider audience. However, I have decided that several people that read my blog and I connect with through this medium are also interested in, involved in, and living in the trenches of ministry both as laypeople, pastors, and student ministers. On top of that, many are parents of tweens and teens. So in the future I plan on having more content posted here regarding Student Ministry.

So I start here with Dr. Johnny L. Derouen, SWBTS Professor of Student Ministry, and his questions for "Examining Your Youth Ministry."

5 Questions:

1. What does God want of our students?

2. Why do you follow Jesus?

3. What is your student's purpose on this planet?

4. Is God trustworthy?

5. What is your most valuable possession?

How does he answer these:

1. So therefore, any one of you who does not renounce all that he has cannot be my disciple. Luke 14:33 (ESV)
God wants their everything.

2. For if the dead are not raised, not even Christ has been raised. I Cor. 15:16 (ESV)
Follow Jesus because He is our only hope.

3. And he answered, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and your neighbor as
yourself."
Luke 10:27 (ESV)
Build your life on and around Jesus.

4. Yes, God is trustworthy so prepare them that discipleship is a life long journey, a process. Move them beyond (ween them off of) the quiet time books and equip them to study the Bible.
Equip them to walk for a lifetime.

5. Your time is the only thing that is yours to give and you can not save it.
Don't waste your life.

Powered by ScribeFire.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

From one Irish/rock snob/cigar-and-tex-mex-and-chinese buffet-loving/Aries student pastor to another: great blog.

Dr. J's thoughts on Student Ministry are right on...especially #4. IMO, that's been the hardest mindset to overcome with our students. But even our parents are still not weened off it yet. At some point in our spiritual lives we have to get over our pop spirituality, and get into the real meat of walking with Jesus and sitting in the smoking section. (In my mind, it's like moving from Britney Spears to Radiohead or Mike Knott---but I'm probably a little twisted...)

Keep up the relevant randomness, bro!